Fishtail braids are so beautiful, so today we are taking a look at all the different ways you can braid your own hair into a fishtail braid. This post is perfect for beginner braiders as well as advanced braiders. If you have never done a fishtail braid before in your life, then start with the basic fishtail braid, which is the first braid in the video below and when you feel more comfortable with the technique, then move up to a french or a dutch version of the braid.
How To Fishtail Braid Your Own Hair
In this video you will learn all the fishtail braids I have ever done on my channel! This is a full talk through video, where I explain every single step, how to hold the strands and move the hair around. In this video you will learn a fishtail braid, a dutch fishtail braid, a double french fishtail braids, a french fishtail braid and a double dutch fishtail braid. Good luck!
Products I Personally use & recommend
The links below are affiliate links (marked with a star*). That means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission, if you click through the link and make a purchase. Read more on my disclosure page click here.
○ Mini Rubber Bands *
○ Rubber Band Remover *
○ Rat Tail Comb (Use this every day to style my own hair) *
○ Small Mirror (Similar) *
○ Topsy Tail set *
○ Hair Clips (Similar) *
○ Styling Powder (This is great!!) *
○ Hairspray *
○ Bobby Pins *
○ U-Shaped Bobby Pins *
○ Wet Brush (Use it every day) *
○ Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer (So much fun to use!) *
○ Blonde Mannequin Head (Similar, mine is not available anymore) *
○ Table Clamp – Cheaper version (If you buy a head without one) *
Remember to follow my Instagram here and subscribe to my YouTube channel here so you don’t miss any new hairstyles! If you are a complete beginner to braids, then check out my “How To Braid For Beginners” playlist!
Fishtail Braid For Beginners
A fishtail braid is actually really easy to do, but it looks very difficult. The fishtail braid is a great braid and you can easily use it in different hairstyles and it´s a perfect braid for wedding updos! You can do the basic fishtail braid on the back of your head (like I did in the video below) or pull all your hair to one side and then do a beautiful side braid you can pull to the front.
Dutch Fishtail Braid For Beginners
A dutch fishtail braid is the most beautiful braid I have ever done on my channel, but it’s also the most time consuming braid ever! So if you give the classic dutch fishtail braid a try, make sure you got plenty of time on your hands! You don´t have to start the braid as high as I did, you can start it lower down on the head, that way it’s quicker to do!
French Fishtail Braid For Beginners
If you know how to do a basic fishtail braid, then the french fishtail braid will be quite easy for you to learn. If it´s the first time trying out the french fishtail braid and you are struggling, then take some bigger sections to get the technique of the braid down first and then when you know the technique by heart, then take smaller sections to get the beautiful fishtail detail in the braid.
Double Dutch Fishtail Braid For Beginners
If you are tired of dutch braids and want to try something new, then you can give the double dutch fishtail braids a try! It will take a while to do, because the sections of hair are so small, but you can stop the braid at the nape of your neck and then either do 2 small ponytails or 2 messy buns with the rest of the hair and that will save you some time!
Double French Fishtail Braid For Beginners
A double french fishtail braid is definitely on my top five list of favorite braids. There is just so many details in this braid and if you dont want to do 2 full braids, then the french fishtail braid looks so beautiful in updos and curly half up half downs hairstyles or just end the braid at the nape of the neck and do some messy buns with the rest of the hair.
CLICK BELOW FOR MORE STEP BY STEP HAIR TUTORIALS
- How to french braid your own hair step by step
- How to French braid for beginners (Double/side braids)
- How to french braid for complete beginners (Single braid)
- How to dutch braid Your own hair step by step
- How to dutch braid (single dutch braid)
- How to braid – Basic 3 strand braid
- How to fishtail braid
- How to French rope braid for beginners (Double/side braids)
- Rope braid step by step for beginners
- How to 5 strand braid
- How to 4 strand braid
- How to fake a french braid (Faux french braid)
- How to Infinity braid
- How to Double Dutch Braid
- Dutch infinity braid for beginners
- How to 4 strand round braid
- How to pull through braid step by step
- How to ducth fishtail braid for beginners
- 4 Strand Flat Braid Step by Step
- How to french braid your own hair
- How to dutch braid your own hair
- How to basic braid your own hair
- How to french fishtail braid step by step
- How to lace braid step by step