A french rope braid is a beautiful braid and it looks different from any other braid there is, with its detailed twist down the back of the head! It’s super easy to do and is a must-try braid!
This post is all about how to french rope braid your own hair!
French rope braid your own hair step by step for beginners
A single french rope braid is a great everyday hairstyle, that will keep your hair out of your face! It might take a bit more time than 10 minutes in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it and the pattern of the braid, you can do it in a couple of minutes.
If you have fine hair that is really slippery, then you need some texture in your hair. The easiest and cheapest way to achieve that is a texturizing powder or a texturizing spray. It will give the hair the grip it needs to hold the braid and it will be a lot easier to french rope braid your own hair!
Things you might need to create this hairstyle
The links below are affiliate links. That means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase. Read more on my disclosure page click here.
French Rope Braid Step-by-step guide
Time requirement: 10 min
Skill level: medium
- Take a small section on the top of your head and split it into 2 equal sections
- Now twist both strands to the right a few times (I try to keep it as tight as i can)
- Then cross the right strand over the left strand so they switch places
- Then pick up a new section of hair on the right side
- Now add the new hair to the right strand and twist the strand a few times to the right to incorporate the new hair into the strand
- Then take a new section of hair on the left side
- Now add the new hair to the left strand and twist the strand a few times to the right to incorporate the new hair into the strand
- Now repeat steps 3-7 until there is no more hair you can add to the braid
- When there is no more hair to add to the braid, then braid the rest of the hair like a basic rope braid
Other hairstyle you might like
Simple Hairstyles for beginners – 1 Braid 6 Hairstyles – How To Rope Braid
If you want to incorporate a rope braid in a hairstyle but find the french version too hard, then here are 5 different hairstyles you can do with just a basic rope braid! You can do an easy half-up, a ponytail or a beautiful bun, there are so many choices!
Learn How To French Braid & Dutch Braid Your Own Hair!
Rope braids can be hard to do and if it’s not the look you are going for then maybe try out a dutch braid or a french braid! Below is my ultimate “How to french & dutch braid” video where I show different ways of adding hair when braiding, so if one method doesn’t work for you, maybe the other way is easier! I also talk you through the braid step by step, so you can follow along and braid your own hair!
3 Bubble Braids For Beginners – No Braiding Only Elastics!
Bubble braids can be a great alternative to a french rope braid as they give you the same style of hairstyle and volume. It’s super easy to do as it requires no braiding only small ponytails and lots of small elastics! You can either hide the elastics with hair to give the hairstyle a more elegant touch or choose some colorful elastics to match the hairstyle to your outfit!
This post was all about how to french rope braid your own hair for beginners!