This french fishtail braid has so much detail and with its intricate pattern, it might look really hard to do, but it’s actually quite simple to do, but it does take a lot of time, because of the small sections!
This post is all about french fishtail braids!
How to french fishtail braid your own hair
A french fishtail braid does take a lot of time to do if you take tiny sections, but you can do bigger sections if you want to cut down on the braiding and save some time. You will lose some detail in the braid, but it will be a lot faster to do! If your sections become too big, you will lose the fishtail look, and then it would be easier to just do a french braid instead!
Things you might need to create this hairstyle
The links below are affiliate links. That means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase. Read more on my disclosure page click here.
French fishtail braid your hair step by step
Time requirement: 30 min (depending on your hair length)
Skill level: Advanced
- Take a small section of hair on the top of your head and split it into 2 equal sections
- Now take a small section of hair from the right strand
- Then cross it over and add it to the left strand
- Then take a small section of hair from the left strand
- Again cross it over and add it to the right strand
- – Now the braid has been started off, so you have to add hair to the braid
- So take a small section of hair from the right strand and hold it in your hand for now
- Then pick up a new section of hair on the right side and add it to the small section from the step before
- Now take the small section of hair and cross it over and add it to the left strand
- Again take a small section of hair from the left strand and hold it in your hand for now
- Then pick up a new section of hair on the left side and add it to the small section from the step before
- Now take the small section of hair and cross it over and add it to the right strand
- Repeat steps 7-12 until there is no more hair you can add to the braid
- When there is no more hair you can add to the braid, braid the rest of the hair like a basic fishtail braid
Other hair tutorials you might like
How To Fishtail Braid Your Own Hair Step By Step For Beginners
If you have never seen a fishtail braid or tired to do one yourself, then the basic version is where you have to start! The technique behind the french fishtail braid will be a lot easier to understand once you have the normal fishtail braid down! So are you a beginner, start here.
How To 4 Faux Fishtail Braids For Beginners – How To Fake A Fishtail Braid
If you find a fishtail to hard to do, then there are easy ways to fake a fishtail braid and no one will ever know! In this video below, i show you 4 different hairstyles, that require no braiding, only lots of small elstics and small ponytails!
How To Braid Your Own Hair – Basic Braid, French Braid & Dutch Braid
If you don’t like the look of the fishtail braid or find it too hard to do, then try a french braid or dutch braid! Below is my beginner video on how to french braid and dutch braid your own hair!
This post was all about learning to how do french fishtail braids!