This french fishtail braid has so many details and it’s one of my favorites! It’s such a beautiful braid and I will promise you that compliments on your hair will come your way!
This post is all about how to french fishtail braid!
How to french fishtail braid for beginners
This french fishtail braid will take a while to do because the sections are so tiny, which is what will give you all the beautiful details, but you can take bigger sections and save some time!
If you have fine hair or very healthy hair that is quite slippery, then you need to prep the hair before braiding. The hair need some texture or gip to hold the braid, so it doesn’t slip you or gets loose. I love to use this texturizing powder from Schwarzkopf when styling my hair as it gives the extra hold I need to do braids and hairstyles, but any texturizing sprays or powders will do!
Things you might need to create this hairstyle
The links below are affiliate links. That means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase. Read more on my disclosure page click here.
French Fishtail Braid Step by step guide
Time requirement: 30 minutes+ (I know… buts the hairstyle is worth it, but its time consuming)
Skill level: Medium
- Split your hair down the back of your head and clip one side away with a hair clip, so it’s out of the way when braiding
- Take a small section of hair in the front and split the section into 2 equal sections
- Now take a small section from the top strand and cross it over and add it to the bottom strand
- Then take a small section of hair from the bottom strand and cross it over and add it to the top strand
- – Now the braid has been started and we are going to add hair
- So again take a small section of hair from the top strand and cross it over and add it to the bottom strand
- Then pick up some hair from the same side as the top strand and cross it over and add it to the bottom strand
- Again take a small section of hair from the bottom strand and cross it over and add it to the top strand
- Then pick up some hair from the same side as the bottom strand and cross it over and add it to the top strand
- Repeat steps 6-9 until there is no more hair to add to the braid
- Now do a basic fishtail braid in the rest of the hair
- When you get to the end of the hair, tie the braid off with an elastic
Other fishtail braid tutorials you might like
How To Fishtail Braid Your Own Hair In 5 Different Ways
If you want to try out another fishtail braid in your own hair, then here are 4 other types you can try out! There is a dutch fishtail, a french fishtail, and the basic fishtail braid for you to do! All beautiful braids and some are quicker to do than others!
How To 4 Faux Fishtail Braids For Beginners
If you think a fishtail braid is too hard to do, then you need to try out these fake fishtail braids! They require no braiding only small sections and elastics! They are super easy and they last a long time because they are made out of elastics!
This post was all about how to french fishtail braid your own hair for beginners!