A fishtail braid is a timeless and elegant hairstyle to do. Today we are looking at the dutch version of the fishtail braid, which can give a similar look to a dutch braid.
This post is all about how to dutch fishtail braid!
Dutch fishtail braid vs. Dutch braid
A dutch braid and a fishtail braid is not that similar in the braiding pattern, but because both braids are braided under, (which means that when you add hair to a strand you cross it under and then add it), both braids lay on top of the heads and gives lots of volume and that trendy look.
How Long Does It Take To Dutch Fishtail Braid?
I will not lie, a dutch fishtail braid does take a while to do, so if you are in a rush, this is not the braid to choose! But if you have the time, it’s worth it. This hairstyle has so much detail and just looks amazing.
If you want to save some time you can take bigger sections, you will lose some detail in the finished look, but you will get done quicker and it can be a bit easier for some!
Tools I’m using to create a double dutch fishtail braided hairstyle
You don’t need that many things to do lots of hairstyles, but there is a few basic items, that you need. Most you probably already have, but if you don’t then these are 6 items I would recommend having!
The links above are affiliate links. That means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase – Read more on my disclosure page – click here to read.
How to dutch fishtail braid step by step
- Split the hair in 2 equal sections and clip one side up, so it’s out of the way when braiding.
- Take a small section of hair at the front and split it into 2 equal sections so you have a top strand, close to the middle part and a bottom strand, the strand closest to your ear.
- Then cross the top strand over the bottom strand, so they switch places.
- Now pick up a new small section of hair on the same side as the top strand.
- Then cross the new section under and add it to the bottom strand.
- Now grab a small section of hair next to the bottom strand.
- Again, pick up a new section of hair next to the top strand.
- Now grab a small section of the top strand and add it to the new section of hair, before crossing it under and adding it to the bottom strand.
- Again, pick up a new section of hair next to the bottom strand.
- Now grab a small section of the bottom strand and add it to the new section of hair, before crossing it under and adding it to the top strand.
- Repeat steps 7-10 until there is no more hair you can add to the braid.
- When there is no more hair to add to the braid, then braid the rest of the hair like a reversed fishtail braid.
This post was all about how you can learn how to dutch fishtail braid in less than 5 minutes!
You may also find the following articles helpful: