A pull through braid is the perfect braid for you if you do not know how to braid at all. The braid looks kind of tricky, but it’s actually not a braid at all. It´s made up of small sections of hair and ponytails wrapped around each other. So if you are looking for a hairstyle that gives the same look like a french braid or dutch braid, without braiding, then the pull through braid is a must-try!
This braid is easily one of my favorite braids. It lasts all day and you can really fluff up the braid as much as you want and give it tons of volume! It also looks amazing in half up half down hairstyles and in ponytails!
This post is all about pull through braids!
Things you will need to create this braid
The links below are affiliate links. That means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase. Read more on my disclosure page – click here to read.
How to pull through braid your own hair
When doing the braid, I would recommend using 2 elastics per ponytail, so if one of them breaks, the other elastic will still hold the ponytail intact. I had the top elastic break on me, right when I was done and there was no way to save the braid…
This braid also looks amazing as a double braid. So simply split your hair down the back of your head and clip one side away before starting the pull through braid on one side.
Easy pull through braid step by step for beginners
- Create a small ponytail on top of your head and clip it away for now.
- Create a second ponytail under the top one.
- Take down the top ponytail and split it into 2 halves.
- Pull the second ponytail through the 2 halves and clip it away.
- Create a new ponytail including the 2 halves from before.
- Repeat steps 3-5 until there is no more hair to add in.
- for the ends of the hair take the top ponytail and slipt it into 2 halves
- Pull the bottom ponytail through and tie the 2 halves together with an elastic.
- Repeat steps 7-8 until you reach the end of your hair.
Now you can pull in the sides of the small ponytails to give the braid more volume! Click below to watch the full tutorial!