Hairstyling doesn’t have to be difficult or stressful. So if that is how you feel, this post is about you! In this post, you are going to learn how to do a basic 3-strand braid and turn it into 6 different hairstyles. So if you are a complete beginner in hair, this video is a one-stop shop and it’s going to take your hairstyling game to the next level!
These 6 hairstyles, can be worn as an everyday hairstyle, for parties, for being active, or for whatever occasion you are going to.
This post is all about easy hairstyles for beginners!
5 Minute Easy Hairstyles For Beginners
No matter how inexperienced you are at hair styling, you will be able to do these 6 hairstyles. They only take 5 minutes to do and are really simple, but beautiful!
If you are doing these easy hairstyles on your kids, you can choose some colorful elastics or add scrunchies or bow, whatever hair accessories you have to make the hairstyle more fun.
THINGS YOU MIGHT NEED TO CREATE THIS HAIRSTYLE
The links below are affiliate links. That means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase. Read more on my disclosure page – click here to read.
How to create 6 easy hairstyles with 1 braid
How to 3 strand braid
This is the braid that you need to learn to be able to create these 6 easy hairstyles. It´s a very simple braid, but it’s quick to do and it looks absolutely beautiful in hairstyles.
- Split the hair into 3 equal sections, so you have a left, middle, and right strand
- Then cross the right strand over and into the middle (so the middle + right strand switch places)
- Then take the left strand and cross it over and into the middle (so the middle + left strand switch places)
- Now repeat steps 2-3 until you reach the end of the hair
- When you get to the end of the hair or where you want the braid to end, bring all 3 strands together to 1 and tie the braid off with an elastic
- Optional: pull in the sides of the hair to make the braid bigger and give it volume, or to make the braid even if some parts are uneven
Braided half up half down
If you want to give a half up half down hairstyle a go, this version is a great place to start as it’s quite simple to do and it only has 1 braid.
- Grab a section of hair from the front to the back of the head (Enough hair to create a braid)
- Brush/smooth the hair out with a brush or your fingers, to get rid of all tangles
- Split the hair into 3 equal sections
- Braid the hair into a basic braid (See “How to 3 strand braid” above)
Braided pigtails step by step
Pigtails are such a practical but pretty hairstyle to do! And if you don’t want braids hanging on your neck, then you can also twist the braids around themselves, to create a cute double bun hairstyle (See tutorial below on how to create a bun).
- Part the hair down the back with a rat tail comb as good as you can
- Clip one side away with a hair clip or tie it with an elastic – just get the hair out of the way
- Then split the hair into 3 equal sections
- Now braid the hair like a 3 strand braid – (See “How To 3 Strand Braid” above”). When you braid the right side, start the braid with the right strand and when you braid the left side, start the braid off with the left strand.
- Take down the hair on the other side
- Then create a second braid on the other side
Easy braided ponytail
An easy way to upgrade a basic slightly boring ponytail is to braid the hair! It gives a beautiful and polished look and it only takes minutes to do!
- Gather all the hair into a ponytail. It can be a high or low ponytail, depending on what you like
- Brush the hair in the ponytail to get rid of any tangles
- Split the hair into 3 equal sections
- Braid the hair into a 3 strand braid (See “How To 3 Strand Braid” above”)
Simple Braided Bun
A braided bun is always a good idea! This hairstyle is extra secure, as you first braid the hair and then create the bun, so you won’t have hair falling out of the hairstyle throughout the day unless the whole braid unravels, but just secure it really well from the start and then it won’t be a problem!
- Put your hair into a ponytail where you want the bun to be
- Split the hair into 3 equal sections and braid the hair like a 3 strand braid – (See “How To 3 Strand Braid” above”)
- Take the braid and twist it while wrapping it around itself
- Take an elastic and secure the bun (might have to use 2 or 3 to make it really secure)
- Pull in the braid to fluff the bun and to give the hairstyle volume
Double Braided Half Up Half Down
This hairstyle is perfect if you want hair down, but you don’t want to have hair on your face! If you are going to a party or special occasion, then you upgrade this hairstyle, by curling the hair to give it a more soft and feminine feel.
- Grab a small section of hair at the front of the face
- Pull the hair in the direction you want the braid to go and split the hair into 3 equal sections
- Braid the hair into a 3 strand braid (See “How To 3 Strand Braid” above”). The braid needs to be so long that it can reach past the middle of the back of the head.
- Repeat steps 1-3 on the other side, so you have 2 braids
- Take both braids and tie them together in the middle with another elastic
- remove the 2 elastics from when you braided the hair and untie the ends
This post is all about learning 1 braid and then being able to create 6 different hairstyles that fit any occasion